There are so many tropes out there that are repeated throughout dramaland. I am admittedly a fan of quite a few of them, however, there is one that captures my heart a little more than others. The title of the page gives it away. So without further ado I present my homage to the Noona Romance.
What is it about the Noona Romance that gets me right in the feels? I did my best to explain that or at least touch on what I love in a Noona Romance here. I”m most assuredly a Noona myself or if you’d prefer an Ahjumma. Either way I’m certain that puts my heart in the right place. Regardless of reasons I love them so!
I’m creating this space in order to build a shrine to the trope that I hold so dearly to my heart.
I’ll be compiling a list through research, suggestions from my dramaland friends, and discovery with the hopes of being as complete a list as I can manage. I’ll be covering everything that is obviously a Noona Romance, those when the Noona Romance is the secondary story, and hopefully sometime soon those stories that twist the idea of the Noona Romance to their own purposes.
As I watch and review these dramas I will be rating them on my basic system (Characters/Actors, Story/Writing, OST, Sets/Costumes, and Feels) with a 1 to 10 rating per category to be given an overall score. However, I will then score it separately as a Noona Romance.
1) Emphasis on the Noona Romance being a Forbidden Love. = One of the most important parts of the Noona Romance for me is the titillating feeling of breaking the societal rules in such a taboo way.
2) Importance of the Noona and Dongsaeng’s Age Difference. = How much is the age difference stressed and agonized over.
3) Dongsaeng’s Persistent Puppy Love. = Another exceptionally important part of the Noona Romance is the quality of puppy love that the Dongsaeng has.
4) Noona’s Resistance to the Puppy Love. = Because of the love being Forbidden and the Age Difference the Noona must put up a believable resistance to the Dongsaeng’s Love.
5) Noona and Dongsaeng’s Relationship. = When they finally make that leap to be together, is it adorable and sweet and loving?
6) Noona is Consistently Strong. = Another great thing about the Noona Romance is the fact the lead female is an Ahjumma, or at least a Noona. They are, for the most part, already established and confident in their lives.
Something that I am very excited about is that I’ll be asking all my other Noona Romance Lovers to participate in this project. After I’ve rated the Noona Romance on the Noona Meter I’ll be adding Polls for each question so that you amazing people rate these dramas as well.
My hope is to give as balanced a view on the Noona Romance as possible, along with as complete a list of Noona Romances as I can create.
Please help me to make this a fundamental place for the Noona Romance. Join me over at The Noona Meter!